Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ramblings

I stayed home from work today with Micah who has a cold and Grant who had a sinus migraine headache - his first, poor thing. He called to me crying this morning saying, "My head hurts to much to walk!" So I helped him to the bathroom. He said, "Well there is good news. The light doesn't make me want to throw up any more." Can you hear the collective empathy from fellow-headache sufferers? I put him back to bed with a hot cloth on his head and a Motrin Sinus. Two hours later he emerged looking pale but feeling better.

It's amazing how fast the day can go when you're not doing much of anything. I've mostly talked on the phone to Jolyn, talked to Grant, talked to Drew (he gets home early on Tuesdays), checked my e-mail, started supper. I guess I did pick up a little bit and we went to the library. Sure feels like there's not much to check off as accomplished but Grant and I did manage to do a comparison of what Catholics believe about sin and what the Bible says. (Did you know the Catholics doubled the number of mortal sins recently? We heard it on the radio on the way to the library which prompted our discussion.) I think Grant has been glad for my ears today. I really need to carve out alone time with him because he really is such a deep thinker and very fun to talk to.

I also had an ephiphany! I'm sure you're looking forward to this amazing revelation. Here is is:
I realized why housekeeping feels futile in my house. When my friends with small children leave their house, their mess makers go with them and they return to find it as they left it. (This goes for you empty nesters too!) When I leave my house, my mess makers are often there without me, so I NEVER return to find my house as I left it, it is always worse. Hence, total FUTILITY! You would have thought this would have dawned on me before now, but no. I'm a bit dense. Not to mention the fact that my mess makers have taken over every square inch of this house leaving me only the dining room table as "my space" in the house. The one spot that I see from virtually every room in the house which of course drives me even more crazy!

So, the only answers I see, are nagging or acceptance. Surely there must be something in between!! Perhaps you can offer suggestions?!? I need answers! I'm psychologically defeated by the whole process! (Think Lucy on the candy assembly line!)

We are gearing up for the whole college thing. You might be wondering if it is a bit early but I don't think it is. Drew has NO idea where he wants to go to school or what he wants to major in. He's very capable of gaining some scholarships (MUCH needed) but a prerequisite for many, although not all, is having an idea of school and narrowing down interests. We're going in a couple weeks out to Colorado to visit Colorado Christian University outside Denver. We have been trying to look ahead at the few free weekends and days off we have to plan some visits around them. Our goal at this point is to awaken him to other reasons to pick a school besides tickets to a division 1 ball game!
If anyone knows of scholarships at their company, civic club, association, etc, please let us know!


Enough rambling for now. More another time.


3 comments:

sheri said...

Hey, Cheri
I feel your pain....about the mess makers and the house.
Do you remember one idea we had talked about once of moving the boys' computer & TV to the basement so that you can reclaim your lovely room which you created for yourself. This is/isn't a selfish thing to do. My experience is that children will take whatever space they can expand into and it is usually the cleanest place in the house because their space is already majorly messy. Mothers/wives need a part of the house that is theirs and theirs alone. The boys have their rooms along with the basement (that is more than half the house)...why do they need your space, too. You go girl!

While I allow visitation and occasional projects in my study bedroom, IT IS MINE!!!! I pretty much had to make a BIG DEAL about it in the beginning. It is much needed for my studying, but also for personal space.
Good luck...Sheri

Jerilyn said...

I'm SO sorry Grant had such a headache. But what a great day to have with him and (somewhat) for yourself. I wish I had an easy answer for the messy house and the space for yourself but I don't.
The problem with moving computer and TV to the basement is the unmonitored time on both, as I know you know. What goes into you eyes and your ears is so important because eventually it gets into your heart.

Anonymous said...

The days are long, but the years are short. -Dr. Kevin Lehman (I think)

"It came to pass..." The Bible :)

It does get tiring picking up the same toy...the 20th time...in one day. Only to do it all again the next day. And the laundry feels included in the command to be fruitful and multiply. Hope you find a compromise for all. Take care!