Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bentley 1989-2007

We laid Bentley (the cat) to rest yesterday. It was time. I held him while he died in the vet's office. He was purring because I was holding and stroking him and it made me feel bad that I hadn't spent more time petting him in the weeks leading up to this day I knew was coming. He was too tired to even care that he was at the vet's, the place that normally would strike fear in his heart and cause him to wail loudly. This day he was too tired and worn out to do more than rest in my arms and purr at the unexpected attention. I don't really think of myself as a "pet person" but Bentley was with us from our second year of marriage. He has had more children pull his tale, carry him around, spray him with water and chase him than most and always understood that it was his role to tolerate it or find a place to hide. He didn't receive much attention from me once the kids came along but he seemed content to just be around and part of the family. Rest in peace Bentley.

4 comments:

Jerilyn said...

I cannot believe there is no more Bentley. It brought tears to my eyes (yes, even mine). I'm wondering how the boys handled it, because even though they usually more or less ignored him he was always there - they'll probably miss him, as will you, more than they thought they would.

Jolyn said...

Oh, Bentley. I'll never forget how you "welcomed" my cats when we stayed with you six years ago. (9/11 happened while we were there, so I will never wonder "When was that?")
May you rest in peace, you poor, miserly little soul.
And no, mom, I cannot believe that you almost shed a tear for a critter.

Jolyn said...

I just asked John if he remembered Bentley. "Vaguely." I told him that he had died. John said, "Hmm... Did Carmen kill it?"

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just read this and saw John's comment! I'll have you know I was out of the country and can no way be held resposible!