Wednesday, February 27, 2008

No Light by Grant

Not very long ago there was a storm that affected an electricity pole. So many places in our town the lights were flickering on and off like fire flies’ light. At the elementary school the kids were like party animals at the biggest and best party in the world, and that’s not all.

When I got home, there was not one ounce of electricity besides things that run on batteries. Ever nook and cranny and everywhere in the house was cold. Specifically upstairs. For example, I almost got frost bites up there. However my big brother lit a blazing fire that illuminated the whole basement, and in addition to the fire we lit candles to help ward off the darkness.

When I saw that blazing fire I all of a sudden felt lazy and popped into a chair faster than you can say “sweet mashed potaters.” I didn’t do anything but read until my mom came home with Braum’s, and believe it not, I scarfed that stuff so fast I rivaled a pig.

The day wound down and we played Apples to Apples by firelight. But around 7:40pm we got power. The power eliminated our need for candles. So that’s the whole story about a tiny ice storm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sweet mashed potaters" that is a good story! I love your use of words Grant! Is this a true story? Reading and writing go hand in hand and you are proof of that!

Jerilyn said...

What a great story! I love all the descriptive words you used.

judy said...

Now that's a good story. You chose a lot of good words. I could just picture in my head what you were doing and how you were feeling. Write every chance you get even if it's just for you.

Anonymous said...

Grant, I always enjoy your insights in SS and will miss you as you go to the new classroom. I pray that you will continue to keep open to the great world of ideas and imagination and creativity that God has given to you and is unfolding within your life. Great story! And remember your great mom--she can tell great stories too. You will appreciate that more and more as you get older. Your friend, Kari Schott

Testosterone Mom said...

Yes, this is a true story!

Jolyn said...

Oh, Grant. Please keep writing. And letting your mom share your stories with us.