Saturday, February 23, 2008

Who's on First?

We have joked in the past that for Micah's gifts we could get formica samples and put them on in lieu of a gift card because it's For Micah (formica), get it? Well today, Mark and Micah went to Kropf Lumber to pick up formica and we had our own Abbot and Costello routine going:
Micah: "What's that daddy?"
Mark: "It's formica."
Micah: "For me?"
Mark: "No, it's formica?"
Micah: "Sanks, daddy."
Mark: "You're welcome."
Micah: "Dew, look, it's for me!"
Drew: "What is it?"
Micah: "I non't know."
Drew: "It's formica."
Micah: "Yeah, it's for Micah."
Drew: "What is it?"
Micah: "It's for me!"
Drew: "It is? What is it?"
Micah: "Daddy, what is it?"
Daddy: "It's formica."
Micah: "Yeah, it's for me!"
It could go on but you get the idea. And, it came with bag of popcorn so what else could a guy want. It was pretty funny!

We were eating pancakes this week and the boys were trying to get Micah to say syrup. Micah says surabup.

Drew: Micah, say syrup.
Micah: Surabup
Drew: Say Sur Up.
Micah: Sur-a-bup
Drew: Say sur
Micah: Sur
Drew: Up
Micah: up
Drew: Sur-up
Micah: Surabup
Drew (refusing to give up): Sur
Micah: Sur
Drew: Up
Micah: Up
Drew: Sur Up
Micah: Sur Up
Much applause!
Drew: Syrup
Micah: Surabup
Much laughing

We're finally all healthy again. Drew had his last game last night, a heartbreaker against a rival private (think recruiting) school. I said, "Don't you want to have one more game to end on a good note?" He said, "Nah, it'm ready to be done." Well he's not quite done because he's practicing with the varsity as long as they continue through sub-state/state. Tennis starts Monday (yes in the middle of winter) so he'll have no break between seasons unless the weather stays terrible or the team doesn't play like we all think they should.

Dean has been taking his bass lessons and he and some friends are trying to put their musical efforts together. Since we don't own the trap set, I haven't heard them much but the family who does own the trap set invited us over to listen so we'll have to take them up on that.

Grant has had his nose in a book continuously for the past two weeks. He's either doing that or shooting baskets, inside or out.


Micah is feeling much better and back to his old self. You start to think they are just going through terrible two-dom and they are just going to be like that for awhile. Then when they snap out of it, you realize they just probably still weren't feeling well.

Micah's new word is "darnit." I have told Dean to cut it out of his vocabulary because it sounds terrible coming out of a 2 year old's mouth. Then I caught (okay, actually Micah caught) me saying it the other day. I had to immediately say, "Oh mommy was so naughty" and apologize to Micah. Yesterday Micah was trying to do something (can't remember what) and it was difficult for him. He said, "Oh, dr... Uhhhh. Mommy, I want to say darnit! Please can I say darnit?"
"No, Micah, that's naughty."
"Otay mommy."

Today, he was trying to get out of his carseat after returning with groceries. He got frustrated with his seat belt and said, "Oh goodness. Mommy I want to say oh goodness."
"Good Micah, that is good to say oh goodness."
"Sanks mommy."

I'm not sure how he came up with "oh goodness" but I think it's hilarious that even at such a young age, there is this NEED to have a way to express frustration. Aunt Carmen suggested her favorite, fiddlesticks. We'll work on that next.
2-25-08 Postscript: We've been trying out "widdlesticks." Micah wants to know where the widdle sticks are. He likes widdle sticks because they are fun to pound on drums.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sanks for a good laugh!

Otay, bye!

Jerilyn said...

I loved this! And the most fun is that I can picture his expression and hear hear his expression in my head as I read it. How fun.

Jerilyn said...

Carmen was pretty funny too.

Anonymous said...

Cherilyn, you have to send this in--it is sooo funny! Send it in...for Michah!

Your friend, Kari

Jolyn said...

Hey! Was John the first one to ask if we were just going to tape a piece of formica on Micah's present in lieu of a tag? At least, he was the first one I heard it from, and I remember it took me a second to get it. Even though everytime I would talk about something I might get for Micah for Christmas he would say, "Okay, but what does this have to do with our countertops?"