Sunday, July 12, 2009

Micah's Philosophy

We were at Dean's basketball game the other night when Micah noticed a little girl about his age enter the gym. She had long brown hair. Micah said in a breathless voice, "Mom, look at that beautiful girl." I looked and said, "Yes, she is pretty isn't she." He stared for awhile and then looked at me and said triumphantly, "Jesus made another friend just for me!" I said, somewhat facetiously, "You and Adam, huh" not thinking he would get it. But he thought for a moment and then said, "Except that snake was naughty."

That pretty much sums up Micah's approach to life. He has this approach of "I know we are going to be great friends so let's get on with it." Dean was a lot like this too, and still is really. Whenever we go anywhere new, Micah looks all around for someone his size. When he sees them, he says, "Mom look, a friend for me! Can I go play with them?" He's realized four year olds are more receptive but if an adult shows any interest at all, he's not picky. He would crawl into the lap of pretty much any stranger that showed him the time of day.
(Kind of scary!) I hope we can teach him to maintain his approach to friendship while still teaching him to be cautious!

2 comments:

Jolyn said...

This reminded me of hanging out on the Strip in Vegas when dad and Dean were visiting... Olivia was about one and she readily took off with a grandma-type who offered her her hand. Luckily I was standing right there! The lady (obviously a tourist) was quite surprised Olivia so readily accepted.

Let's hope this holds true when Micah and Peter see each other in a couple of weeks!

Carmen said...

Oh Jolyn, don't worry, it will hold true! Before I took Micah to Sunday school at my church when I had him for a weekend, I gave him a choice to go to big church with us or go to Sunday school with the four-year-olds. He chose the four-year-olds but wanted to make sure that they would tell him their names. I assured him they would. I still expected some trepidation that morning, but he walked right in with a smile as I introduced him. He then walked up to the only girl there (we were early) and stood expectantly, waiting for her enthusiasm of his presence to sink in on her. I told him her name and that's all he needed to get started playing. You could tell he had no apprehension about whether or not things would work out. It really is an amazing thing to observe!